Monday, April 1, 2013

The Prophet by Amanda Stevens

The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3)Summary:
Older than time. Darker than night. Stronger than death.

My name is Amelia Gray.

I am the Graveyard Queen, a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. My father passed down four rules to keep me safe and I've broken every last one. A door has opened and evil wants me back.

In order to protect myself, I've vowed to return to those rules. But the ghost of a murdered cop needs my help to find his killer. The clues lead me to the dark side of Charleston—where witchcraft, root doctors and black magic still flourish—and back to John Devlin, a haunted police detective I should only love from afar.

Now I'm faced with a terrible choice: follow the rules or follow my heart.

My take: 3 looks
Third in The Graveyard Queen series, this tied up some loose ends, but left many more. I understand that there are two more coming in this series, but I may be bored with it by the time it comes out.

The characters are becoming more familiar over the course of the books, but continue to have the same irritating qualities and don't seem to be growing, at least for me. Amelia is still naive and overly trusting, and continues to follow a path that she has been warned against her entire life. She finally finds out about her birth and her family, and that was gratifying, but there is a chasm between her mother and father than I neither understand or sympathize with.

The men in her life continue to be on the edge of trouble. She can't forget the man from the last book, while being hopelessly in love with the man from this book (as well as the first). Of course, they are both head over heals with her because she is blond and has a well-toned body from the physical activity required in her job. I get tired of hearing that. Like she has to make an excuse for her trim and toned body.

I continue to love the dog that Amelia adopted, which she suspects was a "bait" dog in an dog-fighting ring. He is very protective and intuitive, and I like the relationship they have with one another.

Overall, it was an entertaining read, if not completely satisfying. I may try the next one, and I recommend this one, if you have read the other two.

No comments:

Post a Comment