Tuesday, December 31, 2013

If Eyeore read...Ho Hum...The Reading Slump...

I am in a serious reading slump. But, evidently, I'm not alone. When I googled "Reading Slump", there were a lot of images that came up. Here is one blogger's "confession":

The Dreaded Reading Slump
It never fails. Here I am reading along, consuming books like I need air to breathe. At my fastest, I can read a book in two days. I like reading and there are so many great new books coming out that I could probably never stop reading awesome novels. No sleep. No work. Just reading. (Ah, paradise.) But then wham! I hit a slump. For seemingly no reason, I suddenly lose interest in reading anything. Oh, the horror! It’s like being presented with a fabulous feast the likes you can’t imagine and not being hungry. Something should tickle my fancy, some sweet or candy, but I have to wait until the slump is over and I can once again read without it feeling like chore.

So, I am not alone. Most of the articles were, understandably, about beating the reading slump of students in the summer months. One site even suggested reading 10 books for $10. I can't imagine giving money to read. I am not sure that is the greatest motivation, but I guess whatever works...

I had a reading goal of 100 books in 2013, but didn't make it. I toyed briefly with the idea of actually changing my goal so I would not have the demeaning "You did not meet this goal" in RED, no less, staring at me through out time. But, alas, it just didn't feel right. I set a goal. I did not meet said goal. Set another goal and move on, woman.

Speaking my language is Marie in her Winter Break Reading Slump. Marie and I are kindred reading slump spirits.

So, I will get on with it. The first book of the year for my F2F book club is "Can't Wait to Get to Heaven" by Fannie Flagg, and I am enjoying it very much. I have high hopes!!

Good reading, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment