Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Book Deja Vu: The Silent Wife by A.S.A Harrison

Have you ever picked up a book, started to read it, and think, "This is vaguely familiar...?" That happened to me today with The Silent Wife by A.S.A Harrison. Usually, if I can't remember whether or not I have read a book, I will look at Shelfari to find out if I have marked it as such. However, this time, I looked at my blog to see if I had written a review, which I had not. Still, I had deja vu when I read the first chapter.

After checking Shelfari, sure enough! I had read the book October 2013; but, there was no review! That is very odd for me since I usually write at least a few sentences about my impression. In any event, I had read this one. So, I added it to PaperBackSwap and moved on.

The funny thing about The Silent Wife is that is cut from the same cloth as Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, but is soooo much better. Honestly, I am bewildered by the intense positive reaction to Flynn's book. I read it, enjoyed it, and forgot about it. As usual, it would not have been my choice for Hollywood, but many (many) moviegoers disagree with me.

This book, in my opinion, is hands-down better than Gone Girl. The characters are much more real, and this is a situation that could really happen; probably DOES happen, with regularity. More like a "Fatal Attraction" (realistic) compared to "Basic Instinct" (far-fetched).

Jodie and Todd have been together a long time, and have a very comfortable (common law) marriage. They are both professionals and live well, although Todd regrets having no children. As the summary states perfectly: He is a committed cheater. She lives and breathes denial. He exists in dual worlds. She likes to settle scores. He decides to play for keeps. She has nothing left to lose.

Told in alternating voices, you get a rich understanding of what motivates these two, and how their actions affect one another, as well as those around them. However, even with all of this insight and build-up, the end will leave you breathless. The perfect "I did NOT see that coming" twist.

Highly recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment