Thursday, June 9, 2016

Writing techniques

A book is coming across my desk soon for review which uses an interesting writing technique. The story is told backwards. That was enough to make me agree to read and review it.

And it got me thinking about other interesting writing techniques. Here are two of my favorites:

Epistolary - written in letters, notes, emails, journal entries, etc.
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff is one of my faves
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Griffin and Sabine by artist Nick Bantock

Perspective - written from a number of different people's experiences
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

There are so many others: time travel, reincarnation, alternate history (one of my faves), and magical realism. As a matter of fact, there are so many devices available to writers that these genres, subgenres, narrative methods, and perspectives blur when categorizing.

I am looking forward to receiving this book-written-backwards, and will let you know what I think. Meanwhile, what are your storytelling methods?

No comments:

Post a Comment