Friday, December 16, 2016

Well, what did I expect?

You know what they say: hindsight is 20/20.

The Delta Zeta Collegiate ladies had the grandly marvelous idea to have a book group, and we are getting started in January. Molly, lead book group instigator, chose "Where'd You Go Bernadette" by Maria Semple as our first book.

I had already read this one, but it was the summer of 2014. I remembered how clever and witty it was, so I looked forward to a re-read. I usually take books off of my iPad when I finish them, to avoid cluttering the library, so I sat down to reload it. Once it was reloaded, I went straight to the highlights and notes to refresh my memory.

There were none.

Egad!

I sat and thought for a moment. Well, of course there were none. I had deleted the copy that contained my additions. When I reloaded the book, I reloaded the unread version and not the one I had marked. Without copying the file from my iPad to the computer, they would never be there. All of the notes on all of the books I had read on my iPad were gone.

Oddly, I wasn't that upset. After all, what was I thinking? My notes would "ghost" to the hard drive? What a cotton-headed-ninny-muggings! So, now I am hedging my bets and writing them in pen on paper.

Live and learn!

2 comments:

  1. Lol You cotton-headed-ninny-muggings!
    How exciting that you are starting the new year with a F2F book group! I am so jealous! I wish your group lots of success!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the fact that they are all college-age makes it even more exciting! Young book lovers!

      Delete