Thursday, June 2, 2011

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I love to read book reviews that fairly gush sunshine and rainbows as the writer tells what a wonder the book is, never seen before in all of time. This book alone will prove to be the cure for all major diseases.

This is that kind of book. If you Google book reviews of "Life of Pi", you will find this type of review:

...unbelievably fascinating story
...a preposterous but utterly enchanting story
...blends fact and fiction with wily charm
...was so good, the plot was incredibly well-crafted, and the descriptions were so detailed and vivid

See what I mean? How is THAT for raising expectations? I thought my hair would thicken and lose all gray strands, my nails would strengthen, my lungs would cleanse and expand, and my life in general would reach heights only known by the Dali Lama.

Needless to say, I was sorely disappointed.

I bought this book shortly after it was available in trade paperback. Long, long before it became a bestselling phenom. I tried to read it. I read several chapters and had to put it down, intended to pick it back up at some point.

Fast forward a year or so. I picked it up again. Of course, I had to begin from the beginning since so much time (and many other books) had lapsed. I read and really, really tried to like it. I put it down again.

Now a movie is to be made because it is so popular with readers everywhere. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I went to the Digital Media Zone of my library's website and downloaded the audio book. Surely I could listen to it!

I put in about 1/2 hour. I have 14 days to listen to 11 hours of book being read to me. I just don't know if I will be able to.

It's sooooooooo boring............

No comments:

Post a Comment