Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Writer's Almanac


I was in the car the other day around 9ish in the morning and heard a bit on NPR that I had never heard before: The Writer's Almanac. It was excellent! I missed the name of the program, and tried to search for it on the computer later that day, to no avail. I happened to be in the car at the same time yesterday and heard it again, this time from the beginning.

It's hosted by Garrison Keillor, which makes it a little heavy-handed to me (he takes himself quite seriously), but the content alone urges me to overlook his dour delivery. The first day I heard it, there was a segment on the short story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson. I was so intrigued by the story of the story that I am now looking to read it.

He seems to focus on poetry, which is not an interest of mine; but, perhaps this will broaden my horizons. I am going to make this program a "must listen" from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment