Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Titles!

By now you know that I judge a book by its cover. I know, but people get paid TONS of money to entice (entrap?) people like me!

There is a lot of appeal in a title. For example, I remember the first time I saw Carl Hiaasen's book Sick Puppy. I was amused, but not enough to read the summary.

However, these books REALLY caught my eye, and only because of their titles:

  • The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell
  • By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coalho
  • Sima's Undergarments for Women by Ilana Stranger-Ross
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

These I have added to my TBR based solely on their titles:
  • A Partial History of Lost Causes by Jennifer DuBois
  • , said the shotgun to the head. by Saul Williams
  • This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously Dude, Don’t Touch It by David Wong
  • To Say Nothing of the Dog or How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis

And yet more that I will consider adding, once I read a summary:
  • Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain
  • Evening Is the Whole Day by Pretta Samarasan
  • The White Woman on the Green Bicycle by Monique Roffey
  • The Hare with Amber Eyes: A Family’s Century of Art and Loss by Edmund de Waal

See what I mean? How can you not pick up a book with such a carefully crafted and well-thought-out title? I guess that is not really judging a book by its cover, but it IS definitely choosing a book by its title!

No comments:

Post a Comment