Friday, January 25, 2013

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

Summary:
Roger Ackroyd was a man who knew too much.

He knew the woman he loved had poisoned her first husband. He knew someone was blackmailing her - and now he knew she had taken her own life with a drug overdose.

Soon the evening post would let him know who the mystery blackmailer was. But Ackroyd was dead before he'd finished reading it - stabbed through the neck where he sat in his study...

My take: 2.5 looks
Evidently, I did myself a great disservice when I read "And Then There Were None" as my first Agatha Christie book. It was so incredibly awesome, shocking and clever that I can't help but compare the rest of her books to it.

Unfortunately. I read "Mysterious Affair at Styles" and became so bogged down as to dislike the book. However, I gave it three looks based on the fact that it was her first book and written in 1920.

Not so much with this one. I found this one to be character-heavy, as I supposed all mysteries must be in order to cast cause and guilt on all of them. However, I had trouble keeping the characters separate and distinct. I was never really invested in the story, and didn't care a whit that poor Mr. Ackroyd was dead at all. I must admit that the ending was a huge surprise, so much so that it was completely unbelievable and implausible.

I will continue to read Agatha Christie books because ... well, because it is Agatha Christie ... but I will hesitate to recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment