Friday, March 15, 2013

How to Wash a Cat by Rebecca M. Hale

Summary:
Two cats are better than one... First in an adorable new series! A deceased uncle and a surprising inheritance propel a woman and her two very curious cats into the mystery surrounding his death. An investigation that starts amid the curios and novelties of a San Francisco antiques shop follows a twisted trail of dangerous deception that leads all the way back to the days of the Gold Rush itself.

My take: 2 looks
Whether it's the first book from the author, or the first in the series, a seasoned reader can always tell. This, unfortunately, is both. The characters are gratingly eccentric. Not just one, not just two, but many of them are virtually caricatures of people. Their eccentricities do not make them endearing, either. I found myself putting the book down numerous times because one of the main players was so irritating that I could no longer take it.

The mystery was okay, but the San Francisco tunnels, gold rush history, paintings, disguises and ever present tulips were very, very, very overdone, leaving me flat as a pane of glass at the end.

I had to force myself to finish it, would not have if it had been much longer, and will more than likely not read another until I have had time to forgive Hale for this waste of my precious reading time.

Not recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment