Tuesday, September 24, 2013

National Punctuation Day

First of all, I can't believe there is such a thing as "National Punctuation Day". I will leave it at that.

Secondly, I can't believe someone would have the audacity to suggest additional punctuation. But that is exactly what French writer Herve Bazin did. In his 1966 essay Plumons l’Oiseau (“Let's pluck the bird”), Bazin proposed six new punctuation marks:

Hervé Bazin's Punctuation Marks

His manuscript:

I don't know about you, but I find this extremely ... ridiculous. He has an explanation for each new mark, but they are not necessary, in my opinion. Do you really need to make question marks into a heart, like a 15 year old girl, to note love? The line through the exclamation point denotes that you really, really mean it. The irony point is placed at the beginning of the sentence so the reader will know that the statement is meant to be ironic. As Steve Lovelace writes, isn't pointing out irony a bit ironic?

You see my point. It was audacious, moving toward foolhardy, to suggest this. I am just glad that no one took it seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment