Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Library Look: Westbury Book Exchange



How stinking cute is this? The only smaller library I can think of is the Little Free Library, which is coming soon on Library Look.

This book exchange started because residents in Westbury became frustrated with the lack of library services in their area. The former BT phone kiosk has been transformed from a telephone exchange to Britain's smallest library by cunning residents and now stocks around 100 titles.

The phone box library is open every day for 24 hours and is lit at night. There is a regular check on it to see if some titles are not moving. These are then shipped on to a charity shop to keep the phone box collection fresh.

Plus it has started a trend! BT has received 770 applications for communities to 'adopt a kiosk' and so far 350 old boxes have been handed to parish councils.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I have seen this before. I love it, I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Library Looks! I went to our own hometown library today and came away feeling unhappy. I never want to leave a library feeling that way. Our library was hot, dim, filled with unattended children and people there for the free internet, and the staff was unfriendly at best. I felt quite uncomfortable and unwelcome. It does me good to read about the lovely library you mention above! :)

    ReplyDelete