Thursday, July 30, 2015

Euphoria by Lily King

Summary:

 Euphoria is Lily King’s nationally bestselling breakout novel of three young, gifted anthropologists of the ‘30’s caught in a passionate love triangle that threatens their bonds, their careers, and, ultimately, their lives.

My take: 3 looks

I had seen this on other's TBR lists, and read a few reviews, and when I saw it on my local library's New Releases table, I grabbed it. Inspired by events in the life of revolutionary anthropologist Margaret Mead, I thought it would be a little dry. Boy! Was I wrong!

Fen and Nell are married and meet up with Bankson, all anthropologists in the 1930s in New Guinea. Anthropology is a new science, and these three are at the forefront of their studies, writing and bringing info to the western world of indigenous peoples.

Fen is moody and volatile, Nell is focused and steady, and Bankson is our narrator. The three personalities mesh and clash as expected in a very intriguing story which is both informative and engaging. When I read the last page, I closed the book and rested my head on the cover. It was an unexpected, bittersweet and interesting ending to the story.

This is in no way a dry read, and I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment