Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Banned Books Week: This will make you laugh


The most challenged book of 2014 was a mere third in 2013. What was the most challenged book that year? I'm glad you asked!

Captain Underpants (series), by Dav Pilkey
Reasons: Offensive language, unsuited for age group, violence

No, I am not somehow mistaken. As a matter of fact, this was the most challenged book for two consecutive years, 2012 & 2013.

In 2013 alone, there were 307 attempts to remove or restrict books from school curricula and libraries. And that's just the reported challenges. The ALA estimates that there are 5 actual challenges for every one made formal. And in 2012, Captain Underpants beat out 50 Shades of Grey! Go figure...

The author's response is wonderful:


LOVE this response! Do me a favor, and buy the first book in the series of Captain Underpants, just to add to your collection!

2 comments:

  1. Are you serious? Hmm I didn't know that!
    I did after school daycare for years and this was one of the most popular series with all the kids. They would read them over and over!
    And of course I encouraged it! LOL (this and Diary of a Wimpy Kid)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't understand some people...to me, if it opens the door to reading, how bad can it be? Did you watch the author's little video? It's perfect!

      Delete