Friday, June 22, 2012

Christmas at Harrington's by Melody Carlson


Summary:
Christmas is approaching, and Lena Markham finds herself penniless, friendless, and nearly hopeless. She is trying to restart her life after false accusations landed her in prison, but job opportunities are practically nonexistent. When a secondhand red coat unexpectedly lands her a job as Mrs. Santa at a department store, Lena finally thinks her luck is changing. But can she keep her past a secret? This tender story about fresh starts will charm readers as all of Melody Carlson's Christmas offerings do. Full of redemption and true holiday spirit, Christmas at Harrington's will be readers' newest Christmas tradition.

My take: 3 looks
I read this one because I loved the cover. It's June in Alabama and 100*. When I looked at the cover, I felt cooler. A woman in a red and white coat, looking at a Christmas display of a department store while snow gently falls. It was so soothing.

Aside from the picture on the cover, the book was cute and took only about 2 hours to read. It is a bit trite, but one needs trite every now and again, and I felt myself welcoming the familiar flow, the predictability of the story and the happy ending. It focuses on a woman just released from prison, convicted of a crime for which she is innocent. Angels in human form come into her life left and right as her desire to "start over" takes one positive turn after another. After eight years in prison, she deserves it, right? It is very fairytale-like, but like I said, it was a welcome respite during this hot summer month. I will read more by this author when I need a "palate cleansing".

No comments:

Post a Comment