Saturday, July 2, 2011

New Books!

I discovered the Arab Public Library Friends Bookstore today! I had seen it time and time again, but had never gone in. I finally had to leave when I got teary-eyed from finding so many books on my list!

Here are the books I bought, all for $5:

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom I bought this one because Five People You Meet in Heaven is one of my favorites. I remember reading it while Jim was installing flooring in the foyer, and I was just sitting there with tears running down my cheeks. I have high expectations from this one.

My Life as a Dog by Reidar Jonsson I bought this one because my fabulous high school friend Ronnie talked to me about the movie, based on the book. He said that it isn't for everyone, but it obviously made an impression on him, and I love him so that I want to honor our friendship by reading this book.

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian This one sounds very intriguing. Set in 1981, it highlights the issues of and prejudices against midwifery. This one moved back and forth in time surrounding a very difficult and devastating decision during the throes of childbirth. Sounds exciting!

The Secret Lives of Dresses by Erin McKean Another on the top of my reading list, this one deals with a woman with zero fashion sense suddenly called to take over her grandmother's vintage clothing store. The dresses take on lives of their own as stories are shared and passed on from seller to buyer. What a great premise!

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby I have another of his books on my reading list, About a Boy. However, I will probably read this one first. It is about a very tall building which has a reputation for jumpers. On New Year's Eve, 15 people go to this building to end their lives, thinking they will be the only one there. The books deals with how they cope with the arrival of one another.

Tuscaloosa by W. Glasgow Phillips I had to get this one, just because of the title! I didn't even care what it's about. However, it centers around a psychiatric hospital, so that sealed the deal.

By the Time You Read This by Lola Jaye This will be a tear-jerker. It's about a father who discovers he has only a short time to live. He writes to his infant daughter, to be given to her on her 12th birthday. What else do I need to say? It will be wonderful.

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver I expect this to be another "wow" book. It deals with the mother and father of a boy who kills seven students and a teacher at his high school. It tracks his childhood, crime, and the mother's (the book is written from her viewpoint) struggle to cope with this path their lives have taken. Interestingly, this book is told in a series of letters from the mother to the (probably estranged) father. I am looking forward to this one for the style alone.

And there you have it! My windfall of wonderful books. It will take me probably a week to read them all. haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment