Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy made into movie

Perhaps if I went to the movies more, I would have seen the trailer for this one, but here is another book being made into a movie.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is a 1974 British spy novel by John le Carré.

Stop right there. There is enough in that one sentence to keep me from reading it. First of all, the title is as dry as dust. I don't have any idea what a "tinker" is. When I Google it, I find that it's an English nursery rhyme:

Tinker, Tailor,
Soldier, Sailor,
Rich Man, Poor Man,
Beggar Man, Thief.

It's a clever play on words for the novel's title, I'll give the author that.

Next, the fact that it's a British spy novel completely loses my interest. I use The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley as an example. It was lauded and a best-seller. However, I am not British and therefore don't understand their customs, habits or humour (note the spelling in deference to my Engligh readers). I finished the book, but can't say that I enjoyed it and do not intend to read more of the series.

Lastly, it's already been made into a TV movie (circa 1979) starring Sir Alec Guinness. I doubt very seriously that a Hollywood production will beat it. The fact that a Swedish film director is at the helm is less impressive when you read his filmography (Bert: The Last Virgin, Office Hours, Four Shades of Brown, and Let the Right One In). Makes you want to jump right onto the Netflix website and add them all to your queue, doesn't it? No, me either.

This is probably both a book and a film that I will skip.

No comments:

Post a Comment