Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wednesday Word: Rapscallion

rap·scal·lion
rapˈskalyən/
noun
archaichumorous
noun: rapscallion; plural noun: rapscallions
  1. a mischievous person.
Origin
late 17th century: alteration of earlier rascallion, perhaps from rascal.
 
I actually use this word quite a bit when referring to my three boys, my cat, or the squirrels who always best me when getting to the bird feeder. It has an old-world vibe to it, like you are telling your second to hold your cloak whilst you defend life and honor against someone who has sullied your good name.
 
It is a playful term, and I think it would be very easy to introduce it into your normal conversation. Give it a whirl!
 

1 comment:

  1. I have heard of this word but I don't think I have ever used it before. I can think of a few people I could use it on!

    And, yes, I have a problem with that Too!
    or the squirrels who always best me when getting to the bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete