Saturday, June 30, 2012

Quotations and Notes and Thoughts


I think I have mentioned this before, but I keep a Moleskine (a very specific brand of journal) close at hand at all times. I have one specifically for Haiku that I write (yes, I am a dedicated word nerd), lists that I make and, the most often used, quotations, notes and thoughts from my current read.

Following are a few of my favorites:

"Margaret was reminded of the way that very young children cry: fearlessly, shamelessly, with a total, noisy, self-centered commitment to grief that makes no apologies nor any effort whatsoever to contain the natural outflow of bodily fluids." p122 Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos.

"Life, too, is like that. You live it forward, but understand it backward. It is only when you stop and look to the rear that you see the corpse caught under your wheel." Cutting for Stone by A. Verghese.

On the other hand: "You can't always be looking backward or something will hit you from the front." The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick

"I stared at the room full of caskets on display - their lids gaping open like hungry mouths, waiting to swallow up the newly departed. I decided I'd much rather exit this world in a crackle of flames and a swirl of smoke through my ribs than be cooped up through all eternity in a dark box surrounded by puffy white satin." Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

Today people use as many words as they can and think themselves very wise for doing so. For always remember that while it is wrong to use too few, it is often far worse to use too many." The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster.

And on that note....

No comments:

Post a Comment