Monday, July 4, 2011

The Woods by Harlan Coban

Summary:
Twenty years ago, four teenagers at summer camp walked into the woods at night. Two were found murdered, and the others were never seen again. Four families had their lives changed forever. Now, two decades later, they are about to change again. For Paul Copeland, the county prosecutor of Essex, New Jersey, mourning the loss of his sister has only recently begun to subside. Cope, as he is known, is now dealing with raising his six- year-old daughter as a single father after his wife has died of cancer. Balancing family life and a rapidly ascending career as a prosecutor distracts him from his past traumas, but only for so long. When a homicide victim is found with evidence linking him to Cope, the well-buried secrets of the prosecutor’s family are threatened. Is this homicide victim one of the campers who disappeared with his sister? Could his sister be alive? Cope has to confront so much he left behind that summer twenty years ago: his first love, Lucy; his mother, who abandoned the family; and the secrets that his Russian parents might have been hiding even from their own children. Cope must decide what is better left hidden in the dark and what truths can be brought to the light.

Here is the review from my Shelfari: I really enjoyed this book! It was a good mystery, had some serious and surprising twists, was clean (no sex, language, drug use) and had a very satisfying ending. I had the large print edition, and read its 635 pages in three days. I would highly recommend this book, and I plan to read more by its author.

I have to say it again: I really enjoyed this book! I ordered it from PaperbackSwap.com on a lark because I was getting another book from the owner. Turns out that this book was not only hardback, but large print. I don't love large print, but I must admit that I feel like I am reading more because I am turning pages more quickly. ha

I started the book on a Friday night, not expecting to finish it because I was headed to the library first thing Saturday morning. I still went to the library, but this book grabbed me, hooked me and had me at the first page! There was no way I was putting it down until the last word was read.

It was such a good story, so well-written and nicely intricate without being confusing. I highly recommend this one for your TBR pile!

No comments:

Post a Comment