Sunday, September 18, 2011

Operation Bonnet by Kimberly Stuart

Summary:
Twenty-year-old Nellie Monroe has a restless brilliance that makes her a bit of an odd duck. She wants to be a private investigator, even though her tiny hometown offers no hope of clients. Until she meets Amos Shetler, an Amish dropout carrying a torch for the girl he left behind. So Nellie straps on her bonnet and goes undercover to get the dish.   But though she’s brainy, Nellie is clueless when it comes to real life and real relationships. Soon she’s alienated her best friend, angered her college professor, and botched her case. Operation Bonnet is a comedy of errors, a surprising take on love, and a story of grace.

Review: 4 Looks
I am not a fan of Christian fiction, even though I am a HUGE fan of the Lord Jesus Christ. I have read my fair share of this genre, and don't like the heavy-handed way (almost 100% of) the authors verily beat the reader over the head with their brand of Christianity.  The only book I can think of that I have ready this century that does not fall into that gross generalization is When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin, which I highly recommend.

Back to Operation Bonnet. I was very pleasantly surprised by the witty writing and real-life thoughts and feelings. There was not a holier-than-thou feel to the writing, story or message. The thread of Christianity was subtle though out the book as a standard way of life, and not some overpowering Mother Teresa-type of lifestyle. Being a Christian is a mind-set that is day-by-day, sometimes minute-by-minute for me. It's neither easy nor innate, as some would have you believe. This book made it real-life while providing a fun and entertaining story.

I will read more by this author.

Visit Kimberly Stuart's blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment