Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Gore Vidal: 1925-2012

Gore Vidal has passed away after a long bout with pneumonia.

Vidal started writing in the 1940s, but I didn't happen upon him until I was in a book club in West Chester, Pennsylvania, where the assigned book was his 1992 Live from Golgotha: The Gospel according to Gore Vidal.

I found the book to be heretical and blasphemous. I also found the writing to be so beautiful, fluid and compelling that I purchased a copy years later from a discount cart.I have not reread the book, but it sits on my shelf.

Vidal was, in my estimation, a pompous, intolerant ass. His vitriolic discussions with William H. Buckley (another pompous, intolerant ass) are the stuff of legend. However, when he kept his mouth shut and his pen on paper, he was at his best.

No comments:

Post a Comment