I have only SEVEN of Amazon's Book Club Picks on my shelf!
Here are the first 10 books on the list:
- The Imperfectionists - This is a novel about the newspaper industry and sounds like a yawner.
- A Big Little Life - This is the memoir of a dog written by thriller author Dean Koontz, but this one is non-fiction. And the dog dies in the end. No thanks.
- French Lessons - Three Americans in a single day in Paris. I'm adding this one.
- Citizens of London - This one is about WWII, and is another non-fiction. Not for me.
- To the End of the Land - The power of family life and the cost of war. What is with these war books?
- One Day - On my list already
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind - Young boy in an impoverished African village during a famine who dreams of building a windmill while everyone calls him crazy. Not interested.
- The Hangman's Daughter - Children are murdered and witchcraft is blamed. Not really interested, but I will wait and read a few reviews from my groups and see what they thought. Not ruling this one out just yet.
- The Lake Shore Limited - Called "a power love story" and even uses the description of " incandescent lovemaking". That cracks me up enough to not take this book seriously and leave it off of my list.
- The Glass Room - Loving couple in Germany coming against the Nazi Regime. Again I say: why all the war?
So far, I'd say I made pretty good decisions. There are so many books out there that are entertaining, I just don't have the desire to read about war and real-life sadness. Nonfiction is just not my bag, baby, and war novels are too close to the truth for me.
The next 10 books soon.